Busy with Fo[u]r Rooms!

Today has been the busiest Friday I’ve had in a while. Normally, Fridays at uni are quite slow paced. But the pressure was on today, as I had to get back home in time to catch a train!

It’s the 6th Week of our interior design project! The pressure is on; highlighted by Duncan mentioning the fact that we will be halfway through our degree when this project is finished and that “it’s like our degree show”. I’m not going to lie, this made my stomach churn somewhat.

What did I get done? Well, I found out that it was infact easier to roll out slabs of clay rather than use the slab roller. Which is funny because I thought the slab roller would be more efficient. As it turns out, the size slabs I wanted were too big for the slab roller. And why do I need slabs you may ask? Well, after chatting to Ingrid – the course leader for the Designer Maker course at CSAD, she said making molds of the interlocking shapes would take far too long, and a task too big for a 5 week project. Instead she suggested slab constructing the piece. This simply involved rolling out slabs of clay, waiting for them to go leather hard, and then joining the slabs together through scoring and applying slip.

12557260_1116146198437596_2011802554_o

I decided to change the design of my spoons from the original hexagonal shape to something more functional; something- as Duncan said- to eat your yoghurt with haha. Pictured below are my final designs with some samples of the terracotta I wish to use.

IMG_0670My final three designs. I asked for people’s opinions and they preferred the middle one. Feeling confident with this design, I have impressed a nut on the end and used the end of it to build texture on this inside of the spoon.

I also started casting one of the terracotta spoons I made. They were unfired, and after nearly breaking the spoon after I tried to take it out of the freshly made plaster cast of it, I decided it’s best to fire the spoons first and then cast them. They look more like soup spoons than sugar spoons, but the plan is to cast them using porcelain slip, and they will shrink by 20%, once they’ve been put through a glaze firing.

Next on the agenda is making a clear glaze and white earthenware slip for the centre piece. I did worry a bit that I didn’t get a complete mould made today for the spoons, but I got lots of slabs rolled out; which can be quite a tedious task!

Oh and went to a dissertation lecture. Ahhh! The struggle will soon be real.

*UPDATE* I am now using earthenware slip, keeping with the use of earthenware for the centre piece. Also, it is a lot easier to get hold of -given the time restraints- I would have to get porcelain slip out of the clay store on designated days only, whereas I can use earthenware slip as and when, without the worry of running out and waiting a day or two to get some from the clay store. This means I can put them in the same kiln as my centre piece too, instead of booking two separate kilns.

 

Advertisements